Sunday, March 20, 2011

DaY SeVeN ReViSiTeD

Day Seven: Post a photo of your most treasured item. Why is this item special to you? How did you come to own this item?

Okay, so I said at the beginning of this photo challenge that I was going to finish it before my birthday and my birthday is in..........23 days and I have 23 pictures to go.  What a coincidence!  I didn't even do that on purpose.  So I guess I'm gonna be doubling up some days in order to get this shit done.

I already posted Day 7 a while back, but there was no picture.  I guess when I was first thinking on this one, I was trying to think of a material item.  Then I decided it could be anything with some form of sentimental value, and I've just been putting off deciding what to do.  So here it is:


This is my baby grand piano :)  To some it would be considered a material item, and I guess for me it is, but it also holds an amount of sentimental value as well. 
When I was 7 years old I started teaching myself to play the piano by listening to music in church and then trying to make the same notes come out of our hand me down piano when I got home.  A lady that went to our church was a piano teacher and she told my parents I needed to start taking lessons before I learned bad habits.  My grandma was thrilled with this.  She had zero musical skills, but she always forced my dad and his brother into various musical lessons.  She purchased this piano for my dad to learn on (and I'm sure to impress visitors as well because that's just how my grandma is, God love her).  And the checks that she gave my dad to take to his piano teacher???  They were torn up and my dad went fishing with his friends.  (He did learn to play though, and he's not to shabby).
Anyways, my grandma told me that if I kept taking piano lessons and learned to play well, the piano would be mine.  I took lessons from the time I was 7 until I was about 15 when I quit because I decided I hated it.  Then I decided I missed it and went back to lessons when I was 16 until I was 18. 
Needless to say, I got the piano, and I love it.  Oh, the perks of being the oldest grandchild ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment